February may be a short month, but it’s not lacking in South East Asian film events. The Glasgow Youth Film Festival hits the jackpot with the UK premiere of Studio Ghibli’s「風立ちぬ」(Kaze Tachinu/The Wind Rises, Japan, 2013). London and the rest of the UK wait on as the wider cinematic release of the film has apparently been postponed for later in the year.
Last updated: 4/2/2014
Note: As always, I will be updating this post if I hear of any more events. Let me know if you see anything missing!
FILM SCREENINGS, FILM EVENTS & CINEMA RELEASES
The BFI is celebrating the Chinese New Year with a season of Feng Xiaogang screenings throughout the month of February. An “In Conversation” event with the director is scheduled for February 21st. The full list of films is here.
The Satori Screening brings us a Bruce Lee martial arts from 1973 this month. Details and booking here.
Two Japanese films pop up on the Ilkley Film Festival programme in mid-February:
- Feb 14: 「トウキョウソナタ」 (Tōkyō Sonata/Tokyo Sonata, Japan, 2008). Dir. by Kurosawa Kiyoshi. Details.
- Feb 15: 「切腹」 (Seppuku/Harakiri, Japan, 1962) – Dir. by Kobayashi Masaki. Details.
The Chinese Visual Festival is organising two screenings this month:
- Feb 5: 《曙光球隊》(Homeless F.C., Singapore, 2007) – A free screening of Chinese documentary at King’s College. More here.
- Feb 15: New Chinese Documentary Day – An afternoon of rare documentary screenings at the BFI.
Miyazaki Goro’s second film will be showing at the Flatpack Film Festival in Birmingham. REVIEW. Details here.
The Year of Film Professional kicks off with Park Hoon-jung and a film he wrote the script for: 악마를 보았다 (Angmareul boatda/I Saw the Devil, South Korea, 2010). More (though not much more) here.
The free film screening at the Japanese Embassy this month takes as us back to the Edo period. Synopsis and booking details here.
One of two Wong Kar-wai film screenings at the PCC this month. Details here.
Finally the first screening of Studio Ghibli’s Kaze Tachinu will take place in the UK, at the Glasgow Film Festival. There will be other Japanese animations at the festival as well, including a ‘mystery anime’.
- 「風立ちぬ」(Kaze Tachinu/The Wind Rises, Japan, 2013)
- 「青の祓魔師（エクソシスト)」 (Ao no Ekusoshisut/Blue Exorcist, Japan, 2013)
- Mystery Anime (with a Cosplay Red Carpet Parade)
- Feb 20: 「耳をすませば」 (Mimi o Sumaseba/Whisper of the Heart, Japan, 1995). Book here.
- Feb 27: 「猫の恩返し」 (Neko no Ongaeshi/The Cat Returns, Japan, 2002). REVIEW. Book here.
Another one-off screening of one of Wong Kar-wai’s acclaimed films. Details here.
All films will screen in London, a few also in Glasgow and Leeds.
- Opening Gala: 「許されざる者」 (Yurusarezarumono/The Unforgiven, Japan, 2013)
- Closing Gala: A Prayer for Rain (India/UK, 2013)
- 《危險關係》(Dangerous Liaisons, China, 2012)
- 「夜の片鱗」(Yoru no Henrin/The Shape of Night, 1964)
- 「祖谷(イヤ）物語 －おくのひと－」（Iya Monogatari – Oku no Hito/The Tale of Iya, Japan, 2013)
- L’image manquante (The Missing Picture, France/Cambodia, 2013) + Panel Discussion
- Honour (UK, 2014) + Panel Discussion
- 36 (Thailand, 2012)
- Mary is Happy, Mary is Happy (Thailand, 2013)
- مهمونی کامی (Mhmwny̰ ḵạmy̰/Kami’s Party, Iran, 2013)
For trailers and more details, see my separate post.
Asian Movies Meetup, Jetlag Bar, London, UK (TBA)
Details have yet to be announced.
Details have yet to be announced.
- February 24, 2014: 고령화가족 (Goryeonghwa Gajok/Boomerang Family, South Korea, 2013) – Dir. by Song Hae-sung. Home media release via Third Window Films.
- February 25, 2014: 「そして父になる」 (Soshite Chichi ni Naru/Like Father, Like Son, Japan, 2013) – Dir. by Koreeda Hirokazu. Home release via Arrow Films.
- February 28, 2014: 「許されざる者」 (Yurusarezarumono/The Unforgiven, Japan, 2013) – Cinematic release through Warner Bros.
The Cornerhouse is organising a one-hour contemporary talk this month, as part of their ongoing collaboration with the Chinese Film Forum. More here.
Film4 is having a Kurosawa Akira season this month, screening one of his films every Thursday until March 6. More here.