The Leeds International Film Festival, one of the biggies on the UK festival calendar, released its programme a couple of days ago, with quite a bit of East Asia on the programme. To start off with, there will be a Kobayashi Masiki retrospective, then the fest’s popular Fanomenon Anime Day returns and some additional entries from China, South Korea and Japan will screen as well.
The festival runs from November 6 – 21 this year and tickets can be booked already.
Kobayashi Masiki Retrospective:
- 「切腹」(Seppuku/Harakiri, Japan, 1962)
- 「人間の條件」(Ningen no jōken/The Human Condition, Japan, 1959-1961): Parts 1, 2 and 3.
- 「怪談」(Kaidan/Kwaidan, Japan, 1964)
- 「上意討ち 拝領妻始末」(Jōi-uchi: Hairyō tsuma shimatsu/Samurai Rebellion, Japan, 1967)
Fanonemon Anime Day
Leeds Film Festival describes the special event as “hugely popular” and this year is presenting it in collaboration with Scotland Loves Animation. It’s a fab selection of films they have on offer – it includes Shinkai Makoto’s latest as well as an anniversary showing of 「アキラ」 (Akira/Akira, Japan, 1988). Here’s the complete list:
- Double Bill: Shinkai Makoto’s「言の葉の庭」(Kotonoha no Niwa/Garden of Words, Japan, 2013) and Makihara Ryōtarō’s「ハル」(Haru/Hal, Japan, 2013)
Kotonoha no Niwa trailer:
- 「サカサマのパテマ」 (Sakasama no Patema/Patema Inverted, Japan, 2013) – Dir. by Yoshiura Yasuhiro.
- 「放課後ミッドナイターズ」 (Hōkago Middonaitāzu/After School Midnighters) – Dir. by Takekiyo Hitoshi.
My REVIEW (8/10) – good fun, this one!
- 「シュタインズ・ゲート」(Shutainzu Gēto/Stein’s Gate, Japan, 2013) – Dir. by Wakabayashi Kanji.
- 「ヱヴァンゲリヲン新劇場版:Q」(Evangerion Shin Gekijōban: Kyū/Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, Japan, 2012) – Dir. by Anno Hideaki, Tsurumaki Kazuya, Masayuki and Maeda Mahiro.
- 「変態仮面」(HK Hentai Kamen/HK: Forbidden Super Hero, Japan, 2013) – Dir. by Fukuda Yuichi.
- 「アキラ」 (Akira/Akira, Japan, 1988) – 25th anniversary screening. Dir. by Otomo Katsuhiro.
If you haven’t seen Akira yet, you know you must. My REVIEW (9/10).
If classical Japanese films and anime aren’t your thing, there are still a few other entries from East Asia:
- 《天注定》 (Tian Zhu Ding/A Touch of Sin, 2013, China) – Dir. by Jia Zhangke.
- 감시자들 (Gamsijadeul/Cold Eyes, South Korea, 2013) – Dir. by Jo Ui-seok and Kim Byung-seo.
Hanguk Yeonghwa just reviewed this after a Busan International Film Festival screening.
- 「ブシドーマン」(Bushidōman/Bushido Man, Japan, 2013) – Dir. by Tsujimoto Takanori.
Breathing Earthy: Susumu Shingus Traum (Breathing Earth, Germany/UK and depending where you look, a whole lot of other production countries, 2013) – Dir. by Thomas Riedelsheimer.
A documentary about Japanese artist Susumu Shingu. Leeds Film Festival describes it as “beautiful and contemplative”. Language of the documentary is German, it screens with English subtitles.