November is here and I want some fog pretty please. And snow for my birthday – that’s on top of my wish list every year, but in this country it’s always a wish unfulfilled (in my native one, sometimes I get lucky, sometimes I don’t).
Events are winding down a bit after the super-intense month of October (Raindance, BFI Festival, Scotland Loves Anime, etc.)… or maybe it’s just because I’ll be missing out on some of them that the month doesn’t feel quite as overwhelming, for quite a few events are scheduled, including the ever-bigger London Korean Film Festival and the Leeds International Film Festival.
Note 1: This page will be updated as more information becomes available. If you see anything I have missed, do alert me to it!
Note 2: This month’s Events image is inspired by 우리들의 행복한 시간 (Woorideuleui Haengbokhan Sigan/Maundy Thursday aka Our Happy Time, 2006), which will be screening at the KCCUK. Originally a Korean novel, it became a (Japanese) manga (「私たちの幸せな時間」/Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan, 2007, by Sahara Mizu aka Yumeka Sumomo) as well as the Korean film.
LAST UPDATED: 12/11/2012
Final few days of the London International Animation Festival, which has some Japanese offerings. Full programme. (Sorry, never got round to writing that LIAF post!)
- 하류인생 (Haryu insaeng/A Low Life, South Korea, 2004): Nov 2, 2012.
See also the more detailed Im Kwon-taek post on Otherwhere.
Film galore as in its seventh instalment the annual London Korean Film Festival has exploded to some 37 films (give or take a few) – too many to list here, but you can find all the details in my LKFF post.
Film galore also in Leeds, with fare from South Korea, Japan and elsewhere.
- Nov 2 and Nov 3, 2012: 돼지의 왕 (Dae gi eui wang/The King of Pigs, South Korea, 2011) – Directed by Yeun Sang-ho. Animated film.
- Nov 6, 2012: 「ソミ：高麗女人拳士」 (Somi: Kōrai nyonin-ken-shi/Somi – The Taekwon-do Woman, Japan/North Korea, 1997).
- Nov 3, 2012: Kinuyo Tanaka Workshop plus 乳房よ永遠なれ (Chibusa yo eien nare/The Eternal Breasts, Japan, 1955) screening.Nov 3, 2012:「キングコング対ゴジラ」 (Kingu Kongu Tai Gojira/King Kong vs. Godzilla, Japan, 1962)
- Nov 3, 2012:「マタンゴ」(Matango/Matango, Fungus of Terror, Japan, 1963)
- Nov 4, 2012:「おかあさん」(Okāsan/Mother, Japan, 1952)
- Nov 5 and 7, 2012:「山椒大夫」 (Sanshō Dayū/Sansho the Bailiff, Japan1954)
- Nov 6, 2012: 「ソミ：高麗女人拳士」 (Somi: Kōrai nyonin-ken-shi/Somi – The Taekwon-do Woman, Japan/North Korea, 1997)
- Nov 10, 2012: 「女ばかりの夜」 (Onna bakari no yoru/Girls of Dark, Japan, 1962)
- Nov 11, 2012: 「キツツキと雨」 (Kitsutsuki to Ame/The Woodsman and the Rain, Japan, 2011) – REVIEW on Otherwhere.
- Nov 10, 12 and 13, 2012: 我十一 (Wo Shi Yi/11 Flowers, China/France/Hong Kong, 2011) – REVIEW on Otherwhere.
- Nov 13 and 14, 2012: This Band Is So Gorgeous (UK/China, 2012)
More details are also available in my LIFF post.
600 minutes of anime! Wahhhh! You can watch a single film, or get a special deal for them all.
- 「アシュラ」 (Ashura/Asura, Japan, 2012)
- 「ベルセルク」 (Beserk/Beserk, Japan, 2012) – Film 1 「黄金時代篇Ⅰ 覇王の卵」 (Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago/The Golden Age Arc: The Egg of the King)
- 「ベルセルク」 (Beserk/Beserk, Japan, 2012) – Film 2 「黄金時代篇Ⅱ ドルドレイ攻略」 (Ōgon Jidai-Hen II: Doldrey Kōryaku/The Golden Age Arc: The Battle for Doldrey)
- 「TIGER & BUNNY -The Beginning-」（Tiger and Bunny – The Beginning, Japan, 2012)
- 「おおかみこどもの雨と雪」 (Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki/Wolf Children, 2012)
Again, details are also available in my LIFF post.
It’s psycho-horror at the Barbican, which is screening this
gory not so gory (according to Genkinahito) Korean film as part of its Step into the Dark season of “films exploring dystopia, the sublime and the surreal, where the dark comes alive on the silver screen”. Details.
After lots of Im Kwon-taek at the ICA and the BFI during the month of October, the Year of 12 Directors returns to the KCCUK. Song Hae-seong is the man of the month, with four of his five films scheduled:
November 8th: 역도산 (Rikidozan: A Hero Extraordinary, 2004)
November 15th: 우리들의 행복한 시간 (Woorideuleui Haengbokhan Sigan/Maundy Thursday aka Our Happy Time, 2006)
November 22nd: 파이란 (Pailan/Failan, 2001)
November 29th: 무적자 (Moojeokja/A Better Tomorrow, 2010) + Q&A with director
I am working on a separate post to provide you with more information about the director and his work.
An Anime Allnighter is on the programme on the night of November 10th as part of Sci-Fi London. The films are:
- 「劇場版 TIGER & BUNNY -The Beginning」 (Gekijō-ban Tiger & Bunny – The Beginning/Tiger & Bunny: The Beginning, 2012),
- 「星を追う子ども」 (Hoshi o Ou Kodomo/Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below aka Journey to Agartha, Japan, 2011) – see my REVIEW,
- 「テイルズ オブ ヴェスペリア 〜The First Strike〜」 (Teiruzu obu vu~esuperia 〜The First Strike〜/Tales of Vesperia 〜The First Strike〜, Japan, 2009),
- 「ギョ」(Gyo/Gyo – Tokyo Fish Attack, Japan, 2012) and
- 「銀魂」 (Gintama/Gintama, Japan, 2010)
One-off screening of the anime class to celebrate the upcoming Double Play Blu-Ray/DVD Steelbook release and separate Blu-ray and DVD release of the film by Manga Entertainment later this month. At the Hackney Picturehouse.
Asian Movies Meetup, London, UK (TBA)
No details on this yet, but fingers crossed we will get an Asian movie at Roxy Bar & Screen (where the Asian Movies Meetup normally takes place) in November too. Sign up for Asian Movies Meetup to get the details and learn about future events. There is also a Facebook page.
Normally screens on the last Wednesday of the month. Details have yet to be announced – incidentally, there was no film last month.
Normally takes place in November, but I haven’t heard a single word about it yet!
I’m also fairly sure that at least one Chinese film is screening at the Cornerhouse in Manchester this month (saw a tweet about it and forgot to bookmark it), but unfortunately their website is so not user-friendly. Spent half an hour trying to find the info, but search results are such a mess! Sometimes I think cinema websites try really hard to be the worst ever. ?!?!?!