The film festival season gets into full swing (this month’s cover image should give you a visual impression of the deluge of films coming our way): Raindance continues, the madness of the UK’s biggest film event – the London International Film Festival – descends upon the capital, to be followed by the most comprehensive Im Kwon-Taek season that we have probably ever seen in this country, while J-animation fans get their fix up north at Scotland Loves Anime. Let’s hope we’ll all still be breathing when the month is over!
Note: This page will be updated as more information becomes available. If you see anything I have missed, do alert me to it!
London’s biggest and best festival for independent films continues. Japanese films on the programme, some with more than one screening (note: some of these will have screened in September):
- 「ももいろそらを」 (Momoiro Sora o/About the Pink Sky, Japan, 2011)
- 「放課後ミッドナイターズ」 (Hōkago Midnighters/After School Midnighters, Japan, 2012) – REVIEW
- 「佐渡テンペスト」 (Sado Tempest/Arashi, Japan/UK/Hong Kong)
- Don’t Dare to Stop Love (Japan, 2012)
- 「オロ」 (Oro/OLO – The Boy From Tibet, Japan, 2012)
- 「あかい きせつ」 (Akai Kisetsu/A Road Stained Crimson, Japan, 2012)
- Bite of the Tail (USA/South Korea, 2012 – 9 min) – Directed by Kim Song-e. Info here.
- The Metamorphosis (South Korea, 2012 – 14 min) – Directed by Yun Ki-nam. Info here. Fantasy/horror. Has some excellent reviews.
- Yadorigi (Yadorigi – A Village in Portraits, Japan, 2011 – 29 min) – Directed by Iwakawa Eiji. Info here and a trailer.
Films on the programme:
- 돼지의 왕 (Dae gi eui wang/The King of Pigs, South Korea, 2011) – Directed by Yeun Sang-ho. Animated film.
- 「生きてるものはいないのか」 (Ikiteru Mono Wa Inai No Ka, literally Are Any of You Alive?, Japan, 2012) – Directed by Ishii Sogo.
- 「キツツキと雨」 (Kitsutsuki to Ame/The Woodsman and the Rain, Japan, 2012) – Directed by Okita Shuichi. Highly recommend. You can read my review here.
- 歸來的人 (Return to Burma, Myanmar/Taiwan, 2011) – Directed by Midi Z.
- 마이 웨이 (Mai Wei/My Way, South Korea, 2011) – Directed by Kang Je-gyu.
Director of the month is Im Kwon-taek, with 15 of his films screening in two London cinemas (BFI and ICA). There will be no screenings at the KCCUK itself this month, but films will be showing at the BFI and the ICA.
The London Korean Film Festival should also be taking place in
late October/early November, but little info on this just yet.
BFI London International Film Festival (October 10-21, 2012)
- 「夢売るふたり」 (Yume Uru Futari/Dreams for Sale, 2012) – dir. by Nishikawa Miwa.
- 「愛と誠 」(Ai to Makoto/For Love’s Sake, 2012) – dir. by Miike Takashi
- 「ヘルタースケルター」 (Heruta Sukeruta/Helter Skelter, 2012) – dir. by Ninagawa Mika.
- 「鍵泥棒のメソッド」 (Kagi Dorobo no Mesotdo/Key of Life, 2012) – dir. by Uchida Kenji.
- 「ライク・サムワン・イン・ラブ」 (Raiku samuwan in rabu/Like Someone in Love, Japan/France, 2012) – directed by Abbas Kiarostami.
- 「その夜の侍」 (Sono Yoru no Samurai/The Samurai that Night, 2012) – dir. by Akahori Masaaki.
- 「おおかみこどもの雨と雪」 (Okami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki/Wolf Children, 2012) – dir. by Hosoda Mamoru.
- 「ヨナルレ」(Yonarure/Yonalure: Moment to Moment, Japan, 2012 – 8 min) – Directed by Nakata Ayaka and Sakitani Yuki. Screens as part of Animated Shorts for Young Audiences. Trailer and details.
- 「ジャパン イン ア デイ」 (Japan in a Dei/Japan in a Day, UK/Japan, 2012). Directed by Philip Martin and Narita Gaku.
- 인류멸망보고서 (Inlyumyeolmangbogoseo/Doomsday Book, 2012) – dir. by Kim Jee-Woon and Yim Pil-Sung.
- 물고기 (Mulgogi/A Fish, 2011) – dir. by Park Hong-Min.
- 화차 (Hwacha/Helpless, 2012) – dir. by Byun Young-Joo.
- 다른 나라에서 (Dareun Narayeso/In Another Country, 2012) dir. by Hong Sang-Soo.
- 범죄와의 전쟁: 나쁜놈들 전성시대 (Bumchoiwaui Junjaeng: Nabbeunnomdeul Jeonsungshidae/Nameless Gangster: Rules of the Time) – dir. by Yun Jong-Bin.
- 로맨스 조 (Romaenseu Jo/Romance Joe, 2012) dir. by Lee Kwang-Kuk.
- Beautiful 2012 (2012) – Kim Tae-yong contributes a short.
- 10加10 (Shi jia shi/10 + 10, 2011) – Twenty shorts from Taiwan’s top directors
See post here for details.
Not everything happens in London, but some film festival awesomeness is reserved for other parts of the UK as well – and the annual Scotland Loves Anime, now its third rendition, is a prime example.
Pre-Festival Anime Screenings:
- 7 Oct:「獣兵衛忍風帖」 (Jūbē Ninpūchō/Ninja Scroll, Japan, 1993).
- 15 Oct: Anime Shorts (90 mins runtime) – Not much information is given in terms of which shorts will be shown, except for 「東京マーブルチョコレート」(Tōkyō Māburu Chokorēto/Tokyo Marble Chocolate, Japan, 2007), episodes 1 and 2, a collaborative project between Production I.G and BMG Japan to commemorate their 20th anniversaries.
- 16 Oct: 「逆転裁判 蘇る逆転」 (Gyakuten Saiban Yomigaeru Gyakuten/Phoenix Wright – Ace Attorney, Japan, 2012).
- 17 Oct: 「コクリコ坂から」(Kokuriko-zaka Kara/From up on Poppy Hill, Japan, 2011) – Studio Ghibli’s latest, directed by Miyazaki Goro. REVIEW on Otherwhere.
GLASGOW PROGRAMME (Oct 12-14)
- 「ベルセルク」 (Beserk/Beserk, Japan, 2012) – Film 1 「黄金時代篇Ⅰ 覇王の卵」 (Ōgon Jidai-Hen I: Haō no Tamago/The Golden Age Arc: The Egg of the King)
- 「獣兵衛忍風帖」 (Jūbē Ninpūchō/Ninja Scroll, Japan, 1993)
- 「劇場版 BLOOD-C The Last Dark」(Blood-C The Last Dark, Japan, 2012)
- 「放課後ミッドナイターズ」 (Hōkago Midnighters/After School Midnighters, Japan, 2012) – REVIEW on Otherwhere.
- Anime Mirai Project – four Japanese shorts from 2012 by different directors:「ぷかぷかジュジュ」(Pukapuka Juju/Juju the Weightless Dugong; 「しらんぷり」(Shiran Puri/Pretending not to See),「わすれなぐも」 (Wasurenagumo/Li’l Spider Girl) and 「BUTA」(Buta/Buta).
- 「けいおん！」(K-On!/K-On!, Japan, 2012)
- 「ギョ」(Gyo/Gyo – Tokyo Fish Attack, Japan, 2012)
- 「逆転裁判 蘇る逆転」 (Gyakuten Saiban Yomigaeru Gyakuten/Phoenix Wright – Ace Attorney, Japan, 2012)
EDINBURGH PROGRAMME (October 19-21)
The same as in Glasgow, minus K-On!, Gyo and Gyakuten Saiban Yomigaeru Gyakuten (the last however screens as part of the pre-festival programme). There are however some additional films to be seen only in Edinburgh:
- 「おおかみこどもの雨と雪」 (Ōkami No Kodomo Ame To Yuki/The Wolf Children Rain and Snow, Japan, 2012) – Note: I will be watching this at the BFI Festival and will do my best to get the review done before it screens in Edinburgh.
- 「ねらわれた学園」 (Nerawareta Gakuen, Japan, 2012)
- Beserk Film 2 「黄金時代篇Ⅱ ドルドレイ攻略」 (Ōgon Jidai-Hen II: Doldrey Kōryaku/The Golden Age Arc: The Battle for Doldrey)
- Halloween Film Night, Asian Movies Meetup, London, UK (Oct 29, 2012)
It’s a surprise film for Halloween – which probably means something from the horror/terror genre. As always, at the Roxy Bar and Screen. Sign up for Asian Movies Meetup to get the details and learn about future events. There is also a Facebook page.
Normally screens on the last Wednesday of the month. Details to be announced.
There will be quite a few Japanese offerings at this festival. You can already browse the rather overwhelming programme, I will be adding a separate post on the event soon.
- Oct 6: Japan Matsuri – London Japan Festival. Website here.
- Oct 21: Taiwan Food Fete in London. Details on Facebook page.
If you made it till the end of this post, raise your hand and be counted! The crazy bunny salutes you.