This is going to be an anime Trailer Weekly. Just because. A super short one too, but I’m literally falling asleep here and just cannot concentrate (「スローダンス」/Slow Dance, Japan, 2005 is to be blamed for this. I was watching till 3 a.m. – up to and including episode 9 – and had to get up at 6:30 for work). Apologies for any typos. I will fix them tomorrow.
- 「伏 鉄砲娘の捕物帳」 (Fuse Teppō Musume no Torimonochō/Fuse: A Gun Girl’s Detective Story, Japan, 2012) – First full trailer is now available. I’m still hesitant about the character design – particularly of the heroine – but if I get a chance to watch it, I definitely will.
Scotland Loves Anime, which I have firmly inked onto my calendar for October (Glasgow: 12-14, Edinburgh: 19-21), has been announcing films for its line-up: the first two parts of the new 「ベルセルク」 (Beserk, Japan, 2012) cinema trilogy, 「獣兵衛忍風帖」 (Jūbē Ninpūchō/Ninja Scroll, Japan, 1993) and Shinkai Makoto’s「星を追う子ども」 (Hoshi o Ou Kodomo/Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, Japan, 2011), which is curiously being referred as Journey to Agartha (Are they trying to rename it? Admittedly, the original English title is a bit of a tongue twister and is also not quite accurate, but I still like it.). And one more film, which is the one that I am most interested in seeing so far:
- 「ねらわれた学園」 (Nerawareta Gakuen, Japan, 2012) – Teaser only. I should say more here, but as I said, my brain isn’t functioning.
- 「灰羽連盟」 (Haibane-Renmei, Japan, 2002) – This is a 13-episode anime series from a decade ago. I have not seen it as it is really, really difficult to get hold of – unless you have a chunk of money to spare for one of the second-hand copies floating around on the internet (can some re-release this please?). What is linked isn’t an official trailer, but a fan-made video. I have heard that not everyone likes Haibane-Renmei, but it looks so utterly gorgeous (see below) that it immediately got me and that fan-vid only confirms it.
- 「おおかみこどもの雨と雪x東京ガス おかあさんの唄」- Not a trailer, but an Okami Kodomo sponsored CM. Hosoda’s newest anime premieres next week in France, with cinematic release in Japan to follow.
- In case you haven’t heard yet, The Whole Hog’s stage adaptation of Studio Ghibli’s 「もののけ姫」(Mononoke-hime/Princess Mononoke, 1997) has already sold out. I managed to get a ticket just in time. Will review in April 2013!
- It has been reported on Twitter this week that Miyazaki Hayao’s latest work “will tell the story of the designer of the Zero Fighter, the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter aircraft used by the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II” (via animenewsnetwork.co.uk). That sounds a little different from what we’ve heard before (scroll down to Bonus Bits in linked post).